County Antrim Yacht Club (CAYC), initially known as Whitehead Sailing Club, was first formed on 25 October 1902 and the Centenary was celebrated with a formal dinner attended by many Members and guests on 25 October 2002. The current Clubhouse was built in 1909 and has undergone a number of changes over the years. The Club enjoys a prominent site at the south end of Whitehead promenade and is regarded as a facility which is an integral part of the local community. The Club has been instrumental in encouraging sailing over the years by hosting various events. These have included the Ulster Laser Championships in 1984, 1987, 1991 and 1993. In 1993 there was an entry of 94 Lasers which is believed to be one of the highest attendances ever at a Provincial Championship in Ireland. As the Club progressed and the focus turned towards Topper Class events, Members travelled to Topper Traveller competitions and in 2004 hosted one of these for the Class.
The Club is able to offer many types of watersport courses incorporating both sailing and powerboating. In order to expand this and in recognition of the increased number of canoes/kayaks now owned by the Members the club has now registered with the Canoe Association Northern Ireland (CANI). This latest link up should encourage CANI to use Whitehead as a base for exploring the magnificent coastline along Belfast Lough and Islandmagee. The Club’s Boathouse on Beach road is nearing completion of a restoration project and this resource will facilitate the East Coast Canoe Trail.
For more information see website.
Phone: 0044 2893372322