Share

Millport

Ayrshire & Arran

Millport is the ‘capital’ of Great Cumbrae island, off the Ayrshire coast. Millport is the only town on the small island of Great Cumbrae, just offshore from Largs on the Ayrshire coast. The town curves around an attractive hilly bay on the south coast of the island. The town possesses Britains smallest cathedral, the episcopal Cathedral of Argyll & the Isles, which was completed in 1851 to a design by William Butterfield, an enthusiastic member of the High Church Oxford Movement and one of the leading Gothic revival architects of the day, responsible for several high-profile buildings such as Keble College, Oxford. A mile or so back along the south shore to the east is the Robertson Museum & Aquarium.