Greencastle, Moville, Co Donegal, North West Ireland
Greencastle has been awarded Blue Flag Marina status for 2017. Situated on the Wild Atlantic Way and at the north end of the Lough Foyle estuary the inner harbour provides complete protection, and although tidal streams are occasionally strong it provides safe access in all reasonable conditions and at all states of the tide.
Greencastle takes its name from the castle, built in 1305 by Richard de Burgo, the Earl of Ulster, to guard the entrance to Lough Foyle. The Greencastle Marina is situated in the heart of the historic village, providing secure and safe berthing at the mouth of Lough Foyle, Co. Donegal. With two Blue Flag beaches marking the approach to Greencastle - Stroove and Benone - the Greencastle Marina is a preferred first port of call for yachts coming from Scotland or Northern Ireland.
This facility, provided over the Blue Flag season, accommodates resident and visiting yachts, cruise ship tender boats visiting the locality, and occasional angling charter vessels. Access is fully possible for visitors of all abilities via a gangway landing. A hoist is also permanently available, as necessary, for sailors requiring assistance to/from their boats. Greencastle is home to the National Fisheries school and the Inishowen Maritime Museum and Planetarium.
Greencastle Harbour (Donegal County Council)
Facilities include: Harbour Master, Fuel by can, Gas, Chandler, Boatyard, Repair Services, Provisions Store, Internet Access, Slipway, Fresh Water, Electricity, Rubbish Disposal and Recycling, Toilets, Tourist Information, Slipway. The marina is secured by a self-locking gate and numerous security cameras.
Boatyard for lifting, repairing and storage of boats, Gas, Laundry and Dry Cleaning services, Chandler, Boatyard, Repair Services, Provisions Store, Divers, Fuel, Medical and Dental practices nearby. Greencastle Village has a Post Office, award winning Restaurants, bars, and shop. A bus stop to Derry City (20km from Greencastle) is 100 meters from the Marina entrance gate.